Cannon Falls senior passer Jaci Winchell is the Bombers’ new volleyball assists leader. In a 3-0 win at Medford tonight, Winchell passed Hailey Huseth for the record.
Cannon Falls head coach Melissa Huseth took a break and presented her with a plaque in honor of this achievement. Perhaps the most interesting part of getting the record was the fact that his help went to his younger freshman sister Karsyn Winchell who was undoubtedly killed to help him secure the record.
Winchell broke the 2,000 career assists mark at the Class AA Volleyball Showcase in Burnsville last weekend. The record had been 2,046. After an evening of 38 assists, Winchell has 2051 and with each set stretches his record.
The final scores were 25-16, 25-20, 25-22. The score was tied at 22 in the third set with the Tigers on serve, but a mistake returned the ball to the Bombers and sophmore hitter Madison Burr secured a solo block resulting in a kill for the last point.
All things considered, Medford fought well against the State’s No.3-ranked Class AA team. The Tigers have been denied the services of their top senior hitter Clara Kniefel due to illness. Her younger sister Sophmore Annette Kniefel had a great evening.
My unofficial stats had him with 9 kills and a serving ace. Senior Hannah Schull had 6 kills for Medford, her classmate Isabel DeLeon finished with 5 kills, junior MacKenzie Kellen had 5 and junior Andrea Bock finished 5 kills.
Official stats had Burr with 16 kills and senior Halle Hustad 11 kills on the night.
Senior Libero Bree Robinson led the Cannon Falls defense with 11 digs. Jaci Winchell and Burr each had 8 digs, Karsyn Winchell and Hustad each had 6.
I said before the game that Milo Peterson Ford of Kenyon Keys to the Match would block. Notably for Medford, but the Bombers finished with 13 aces blocks. Burr got 6, Hustad 4 and junior Elle Lind 3.
Cannon Falls finished the night with 39 kills, 13 typing errors (my tally), 49 digs, 4 aces serves, 39 assists.
My unofficial stats had Medford with 33 kills, 18 total errors, 3 aces serving.
The Cashwise Foods of Owatonna match delivery was a double-digging WOW effort from senior Tigers setter Julia Niles and junior Andrea Bock on the same point.
The ball was crushed by the Bombers, Niles managed to dig and after being hit hard in the back, Bock made a diving save to continue the point Medford ultimately won.
Cannon Falls had no answer for the repeated killings of Hustad and Burr. Both players are around 6 feet tall and made their way through these pieces.
The Bombers’ record is 14-4. They will participate this weekend in a tournament at Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall.
Medford hosts Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton on Thursday, then takes part in a tournament this weekend. The Tigers’ record is 4-4.
Here are other volleyball scores reported Tuesday night:
- Fillmore Central 3 Rushford-Peterson 2
- Sibley East 3 LeSueur-Henderson 2
- Northfield 3 Rochester Century 0 26-24, 25-14, 25-21
- Albert Léa 3 Austin 0 25-15, 25-18, 25-13
- Byron 3 Zumbrota-Mazeppa 1 25-19, 25-18, 20-25, 25-22
- Pine Island 3 Rochester Lourdes 1 19-25, 25-12,25-22, 26-24
- Mabel-Canton 3 Lanesboro 1 26-24, 29-31, 26-24, 25-18
- Houston 3 Schaeffer Academy 0
- Southwestern Christian 3 Mayer Lutheran 2 25-20, 25-22, 24-26, 22-25, 15-11
- Lake City 3 Triton 0
- Belle Plaine 3 Waterville-Elysian-Morristown 1 25-18, 19-25, 25-8, 25-14
- Owatonna 3 Winona 0
Here are some results from Monday:
- Tri-City United 3 Bloomington Kennedy 0 25-23, 25-14, 25-22
- Prior Lake 3 Eastview 1
- Lakeville North 3 Burnsville 0
- Lakeville South 3 Farmington 0
- Mankato West 3 John Marshall 0
- Shakopee 3 Rosemount 0
- Byron 3 Rochester Lourdes 0
- Kasson-Mantorville 3 Goodhue 0
- Stewartville 3 Red Wing 0
- Cleveland 3 LeSueur-Henderson 1
- Lewiston-Altura 3 Saint-Charles 0
- Wabasha-Kellogg 3 Austin 1
On Thursday, KDHL will broadcast Waterville-Elysian-Morristown in Kenyon-Wanamingo. If hourly coverage starts at 7:00 p.m. on KDHL AM 920, 97.9 FM and FREE KDHL app worldwide.
You remember ?
KEEP READING: 10 Classic Board Games That Will Take You Back In Time
How about downtown Faribault for Grumpy Old Men?