There are side battles on the offensive line, but not in the starting lineup. It’s not a huge surprise, but offensive line coach Sean Kugler admitted it Saturday after red-and-white practice.
From left to right, it will be DJ Humphries, Justin Pugh, Rodney Hudson, Will Hernandez and Kelvin Beachum. Justin Murray could potentially be considered, but an ankle injury sidelining Murray for now is about the reserves.
“He tries to be that seventh and eighth guy on game day and get on the active roster,” Kugler said. “We have a lot of really good battles in those places.”
Other elements of Kugler’s offensive line include:
- Josh Jones is a tackle. He has to know how to play guard, but Kugler said he was a tackler who played out of position last year at guard because he was one of the Cardinals’ top five linemen and he had to find a way to get Jones onto the field. Josh Miles is battling Jones for the backup tackle role, but it sure looks like they like Jones like that guy. “He’s a future starter here at tackle,” Kugler said.
- Sean Harlow is entrenched at the save center. “I have no problem if he is our starting centre.”
- The athleticism of rookie Lecitus Smith lends itself to playing center, but since Smith has never played center until now, he is raw in this development.
– With Kyler Murray already out, the Cards also didn’t use Colt McCoy in any job on Saturday, allowing Trace McSorley to be QB1 with Jarrett Guarantano as a backup (it would be a surprise to see as No. 1 and 2 for the preseason opener in Cincinnati.)
– Most receivers taking it easy, the top three receivers were Andy Isabella, Rondale Moore and Andre Baccellia.
— Not a ton of highlights. Byron Murphy had a 6 pick when McSorley forced a pitch out of his end zone, rookie cornerback Darrell Baker Jr. had a nice pick in front of a receiver, and Guarantano had a fantastic pitch in rushing to his right and letting him go. just before it goes out of bounds. Greg Dortch grabbed the sideline at the other end.
–Kingsbury said linebacker Markus Golden was out with a toe problem, but it was not considered serious. Center Rodney Hudson has knee pain, which contributes to his intermittent training schedule. Cornerback Marco Wilson (groin) is expected to return on Monday.
— Among the other players seated on Saturday: S Deionte Thompson, LB Tanner Vallejo, TE Trey McBride (back), TE Maxx Williams, TE Zach Ertz (calf) and WR Antoine Wesley (hip/groin).
— It was interesting to hear that inside linebacker Nick Vigil can play as light as 225. His reasoning? There aren’t as many runs in the game anymore, and that’s a passing league. You must be light on your feet.
— The crowd was announced at 18,000.
— The Cardinals are off Sunday. The last three open practices of the camp will take place next week before the first preseason game against the Bengals. Murray and Hollywood Brown are scheduled to practice on Monday.